Recent Posts
Archives

Meeting Notes

Meeting Notes

 

Binswood Allotment Society

 

Committee meeting action points

Date      21st March 2016 

Present:  RobinCathcart, Tristan Stephens, Meg Van Rooyen, Martin Hurst, 

                 Rosemary Beal, Catherine Levack, Kristen Lawrence, Pete Griffin.

Apologies: None 

Matters arising: Robin still to organise ”Dogs on leads”  notices.

The Community Hut:

The meeting to discuss plans for 2016 has been held a alist of events has been scheduled. A hut ”tidyding up” working party has been held in March.

 

Plot Occupancy

Pete reported that there is full occupancy with half a plot vacant but about to be allocated. There is a waiting lit of 8. A couple of allotment tenancies will not be continuing. Tristan to include the bye-laws with the ”welcome” note for new members. 

Financial Update

Martin reported that there has been a smaller amount brought in from seed orders as the discount has reduced. The water bill has increased again with the previous discrepancy due to a faulty water meter.We have maintained a surplus in the accounts The 2015 accounts will be put forward for approval at the AGM.

Rent Notices

The rent level has remained the same for the last three years but next year will have to increase by £2-00 per plot as the landlords have put up the rent. It was decided to improve communications, the date that the rent becomes due will be put on the notice boards, emailed to members on e-mail and published on the Website. The committee agreed to maintain the surcharge on late payment of rates.

Grants

The last years grant money has now been used . We are planning to spend the 2016 grant money on 3 x notice boards, skips and a gazebo for the community hut. In addition it was agreed to buy a lawnmower for the use of members.   

 Skips and bunkers

Robin is organising a further skip  to remove rubble in the bunkers by the community hut. This has been delayed as funds have been used for for unexpected asbestos removal. As previously agreed,  the bunkers will be taken down as people are using them to dump rubbish despite warnings. Heras fencing panels will be erected to deter further dumping. The bunker for wood chippings will be retained.   

Local Plan

 There was significant discussion over the amendents to the local plan which will include extra housing in the Leamington area to relieve Coventry. Given the threat to the green belt in North Leamington, it was agreed that Meg would write up a short note on the recent meeing at Old Milverton church for Tristan to circulate to members for action.

 

The AGM

The AGM will be held in the Community Hut on Sunday 10th April 2016 at 11am.

 We agreed the agenda :

The AGM notes for 2015 are on the website in ”News”.

  • The community hut group will provide tea and cake.
  • 40 copies of the accounts agenda and minutes need to be made available by Tristan.
  • Tristan to send Notice email and ensure that he website has correct start time of 11am.
  • The John Shuttleworth cup prize will be for the tallest sunflower (to the top of the seed head). Rosemary agreed to order seeds and these will be distributed at the AGM. The cup to be awarded on Sunday 11th September at the community hut.
  • Robin to invite Milverton And Blackdown Joint Parish council to give a talk about the threat to the green belt at the AGM.   

 AOB

It was agreed that a contact list needs to be put together for the committee to have emegency contacts for water, bees, lock combinations, gates and so on. The main contacts can then be put on the new notice boards.

There has been an offer to clear the mound coming in from Northumberland Road entrance which was accepted.

Once the clocks go forward a notice will be added to the gates to say when the allotments close. We will also consider whether new gates with combination lockswould be more suitable so that noone has to open and close the gates.

 

 

  

  

  

 

 

 

Binswood Allotment Society

 

Committee meeting action points

  

Date: 9th November 2015

 

Present: Robin Cathcart, Tristan Stephens, Meg van Rooyen, Martin Hurst, Rosemary Beal, Catherine Levack, Kristen Lawrence, Pete Griffin

 

Apologies: None

 

Matters arising: None

 

Action points

 

The community hut.

 

This has been a very successful year with lots of popular events like the apple pressing, and the pumpkin competition.  There is a meeting in the new year to discuss plans for 2016.

   

Plot occupancy

 

Pete reported that there is full occupancy with a half plot that is vacant but about to be allocated.  There is a waiting list.

   

Financial update

 

Martin reported that the 2014 accounts have been sent to the FCA.  We have a surplus and increased income from new rentals, and seed orders. The 2015 accounts will be put forward for approval at the AGM. There is a final donation to be made to clear the final bill for the butterfly garden which was approved by the committee.  Money owed to an ex-member has been chased up repeatedly by Pete and will now be reabsorbed into the accounts.

   

Seed orders

 

We need to make sure there are more seed catalogues available for members next year.  Seed orders will be distributed at the Community Hut by Martin when received.

   

Rent notices

 

The committee agreed that rent levels will stay at the same level for 2016 at £32 for a full plot and £16 for a half plot with rents due by 31st January.  The rent charged by the landlord is due for review next year. 

 

  • Tristan to send out a rent notice to members by email. This will include a link to the byelaws which are on the website.

  • Martin to ask for rent notice to be added to the website.

    Dogs on leads notices

    The byelaws state that dogs must be kept on leads. Robin to source new permanent signs x 2 for the gates to state “All dogs on leads”.

    Skips and bunkers

    Robin is organising a further skip to remove the rubble in the bunkers by the community hut. The bunkers will be taken down as people are using them to dump rubbish despite warnings. Heras fencing panels will be erected to deter further dumping. The bunker for wood chippings will be retained.

    The local plan

    There was significant discussion over amendments to the local plan which will include extra housing in Leamington area to relieve Coventry. We do not know if these proposals will include the North Leamington green belt. We need to be ready to take action if so.

 

  • Robin and Tristan to email members to inform them about the Town Hall exhibition on garden suburb plans on Thursday 12th November. (This was done).

    Town Council grants

    There was a discussion on items to apply to the Town Council for the annual allotment society grants for 2016. The shortlist includes the cost of ordering skips regularly during the year, a heavy duty gazebo for the community hut, a portable generator, new notice boards with Perspex fronts x 3.

 

  • Martin to ask builder for a quote for refurbishing the brick built antique hut to reclaim as a tool shed.

  • Future ideas included a wood burning stove for the community hut and an apple press.

    The AGM

    This will be held in the Community Hut on Sunday 10th April 2016 at 11am. We agreed the agenda.

 

The AGM notes for 2015 are on the website in “news”. 

 

  • Meg to ask Dave Elliot if these notes can be kept in a separate section on website.

 

  • The community hut group will be providing tea and cake.

  • 40 copies of the accounts, agenda and minutes need to be made available by Tristan.

    The newsletter

    Catherine will be producing the annual newsletter to include a report about community hut events, the butterfly garden, rents and notices.

    Manure

    We will need a new supplier from next year. We will consider possibility of ordering smaller loads and whether we can have a central delivery to the community hut for collection in barrows. We will also look at the costs and fees depending upon the new supplier.

    AOB

 

  • There is a need for ditch clearing which Pete will arrange.

  • 2 x strimmers donated to the community hut need fixing if practicable.

    The next committee meeting will be on 14th March 2016 at 8pm.

 

 

———————————————————————————————————————————————

Binswood Allotment Committee meeting

   

Date:  30th June 2015

   

Present: Robin Cathcart, Pete Griffin, Rosemary Beal, Kristen Lawrence, Tristan Stephens

   

Apologies: Martin Hurst, Catherine Levack, Meg van Rooyen

   

Matters arising:  None

   

Action points

     

  1. Severn Trent will be inspecting the allotment on Thursday 2nd July at 9.00am

  2. Leamington in Bloom will be coming to the butterfly garden at 10.12 on Thursday 2nd July.

  3. Event- The grand opening of the Butterfly garden will be on July 11th at 3.00pm. A courier article could be written. Can Catherine take some photographs to be used in an article?

 

  • Can we invite the other allotments eg Cliffe, Bill Gifford.

  • Signs for the gate.

  • Local schools? Although not much interest so far and it being a Saturday not much interest likely

  • TS to send an email on Tuesday reminding members.

 

  1. Notice boards. Can they be cleaned/replaced? Yes we will investigate replacing the boards.

  2. Picnic tables are going to be anchored to the ground to prevent theft.

    There is rubbish in the ditch at the back so the ditch needs to be cleaned out and a working party should be organised to do this before the winter. A more comprehensive clean up is needed and this could be a grant item for next year’s grant application.

  3. Community Hut skip- we need to source a small skip which can be delivered. Before this can happen the hedge needs to be trimmed back along the Northumberland Road.

  4. Plot Inspections. Official notice letters are to be sent to two plot holders.  “Please keep the weeds down” letters to be sent to 5 plot holders.

  5. Vacancies- Pete will split a plot (D and C) into three starter plots.

  6. TS knows someone who wants to donate on permanent loan a big rotavator. Yes

  7. Contingency funding agreed for the butterfly garden.

   

 

Binswood Allotment Society

 

Committee meeting action points

 

Date: 5th March 2015

 

Present: Robin Cathcart, Tristan Stephens, Meg van Rooyen, Martin Hurst, Rosemary Beal, Catherine Levack.

 

Apologies: Pete Griffin

 

Matters arising:

 

Woodchip: No one has been able to find any free supplies. Tristan to email members to see if anyone has any sources.

 

AGM minutes and meeting notes: Meg to ask Dave Elliot if a separate space can be created for these on the website.

 

Action points

 

  1. Butterfly garden. Fantastic work has been done by Rosemary on the butterfly garden. This is being seen by other interested parties as an innovative project. The pond has now been installed. The garden is nearly complete with some further planting and work to do. It was agreed that another skip can be hired. We will be contributing to the costs of the garden and a pond liner. There was discussion around the possibility of a formal opening with the press in attendance. Further details to follow.
  2. Plot occupancy. Pete Griffin is managing the allocation of these plots and sent an update. All the plots are currently let with a small waiting list. However, some plots holders will be written to in relation to their plot maintenance. In addition there are some members who have not paid their annual rent and will be receiving letters shortly. Depending upon the outcome, we may need to reassess plot vacancies at the next meeting.
  3. Town council grant. We have been successful in obtaining another grant for 2015. This will go towards two additional water tanks, a new lightweight rotovator, guttering on the community hut and two picnic tables for the community hut amongst general improvements.
  4. Water tanks. Three new water tanks have all been installed and connected up. This has all been done by volunteers.
  5. The community hut. Liz Philips organised an extremely well-attended meeting in the Star & Garter. There is a draft programme for the coming years’ activities which has been circulated for members to sign up for.
  6. Working party. This is running on the 22nd March at 10.30am with a view to cleaning the area around the community hut so that the picnic benches can be ordered and the raised beds installed.
  7. Asbestos. Tristan has sent an email to plot holders asking them to contact Pete Griffin if they have any loose asbestos around their plot to organise a day for removal by specialists.
  8. Recycling bunkers. There needs to be a reminder for members not to dump rubbish in the recycling bunkers. There has been an alert put on the Facebook page. They are for rubble, scrap metal and wood chippings ONLY. The bunker that is intended for wood chippings but needs to be relabelled to discourage dumping.
  9. Accounts for 2014. These were formally approved by the committee. The final accounts will be put forward for approval at the AGM.

 

10)The access road. There will be further work with the Milverton Allotment Society to implement some repairs to the access road.

 

11)Scarecrow competition. There will be a scarecrow competition which will close on the 2nd of May when the Mayor of Leamington will be judging the entries and awarding prizes at the community hut event. Catherine and Tristan to sort out posters and notice for members.

 

The AGM

 

This will be held in the Community Hut on Sunday 29th March 2015 at 11am. We agreed the agenda which will include an update on the community hut and communications work.

 

  • The community hut group will be providing tea and cake.
  • 40 copies of the accounts, agenda and minutes will be made available by Tristan.
  • The paving inside the hut has now been completed!
  • The John Shuttleworth Cup competition theme was agreed and will be announced at the AGM.

 

AOB

 

None

——————————————————————————————————-

 

  

Binswood Allotment Society

Committee meeting action points

Date: 21st November 2014

Present: Robin Cathcart, Tristan Stephens, Meg van Rooyen, Martin Hurst, Rosemary Beal, Catherine Levack, Pete Griffin

Apologies: n/a

Matters arising: None

Action points

  1. Membership. There is one vacant plot and one coming up soon. Pete Griffin is managing the allocation of these plots. There is no current waiting list. We will consider advertising for members in February once the annual rent cycle is complete.
  2. Town council grant. We have been successful in obtaining another grant this year. These have been used for general improvements to the allotments including extensions to water tank provision. We discussed ideas for the forthcoming grant application for 2015. These included picnic tables for the Community Hut, more water tanks, a lightweight digger, and clearing the bricked area at the Community Hut and a skip to clear the butterfly garden area.
  3. Asbestos. Loose asbestos around the plots needs to be removed by specialists. We need to identify where loose asbestos is located and a day set for removal.
  4. Recycling bunkers. These have been installed by the community hut. They will be used for rubble, scrap metal and wood chippings. The bunker that is intended for wood chippings but needs to be relabelled to discourage dumping. We are following up leads to obtain a regular supply of woodchips.
  5. Butterfly garden. Lots of work has been done. The pond is still to be installed. A skip needs to be hired for clearing the area. We will be contributing to the costs of the garden and a pond liner.
  6. Accounts for 2014. These have been produced and audited by A W Parsons. The final accounts will be put forward for approval at the AGM.
  7. Rents for 2015. Given the financial position it was felt that there is no need to increase rent levels in 2015. The rent will therefore stay at the same level as the current rent. Rent due 31st January 2015.
  8. Milverton Show. There was a discussion about the need to encourage entries to the Milverton Show. The organisers are to be invited to a Community Hut event to tell us about showing produce.
  9. The access road. There will be a meeting with the Milverton Allotment Society to discuss repair and upkeep of the access road.

The AGM

This will be held in the Community Hut on Sunday 29th March 2015 at 11am. We agreed the order of the AGM. The theme will be to recognise the range of work done around the allotments by “unsung hero” volunteers.

  • AGM minutes from 2014 should be on the website.
  • The community hut group will be providing tea and cake.
  • It is hoped that the paving in the community hut will be completed in time.
  • The John Shuttleworth Cup competition needs to be decided for 2015.

AOB

Meg to create action points of committee meetings to post on website.

The Community Hut is holding a pruning workshop on 30th November with experts from Ryton. There will also be a pre-Xmas event on the Solstice. Volunteers for organising events next year always welcome.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————— 

 

Binswood Allotment Society

Committee meeting action points

Date: 26th February 2014

Present: Robin Cathcart, Tristan Stephens, Meg van Rooyen, Martin Hurst, Rosemary Beal

Apologies: Catherine Levack

Matters arising

MvR agreed to create action points of committee meetings to post on website.

Action points

  1. Membership. This has been managed for an interim period by a subgroup. There may be up to 6 vacant plots by the date of the AGM depending upon the number of late rent payers. Adverts for new members will be via a notice on the website and Facebook. External adverts in the community are to be considered after all outstanding names on the waiting list have been contacted. Approval given for a pilot mentoring scheme for new members.
  2. Town council grant. We have been successful in obtaining £1,580 in grants this year. This is to be used for general improvements to the allotment including extensions to water tank provision.
  3. Recycling bunkers. These have been installed by the community hut. These will be for asbestos, scrap metal and aggregate. (Pebbles can be placed on the roads on site). Notice to be added to the website after bunkers labelled.
  4. Woodland Trust. Application for free trees was successful and we have received 420 assorted trees, stakes and guards. These will be arriving 4th-7th March and will be planted out at the working party on Sunday 13th April. They will be used to fill in gaps in hedging and around the community hut area.
  5. Accounts for 2013. These have been produced and audited by A W Parsons. The final accounts will be put forward for approval at the AGM.

The AGM

This will be held in the community hut on Sunday 23rd March 2014 at 11am. The date was changed due to Mother’s day.

  • The community hut group will be providing tea and cake.
  • It is hoped that the paving in the community hut will be completed in time.
  • The John Shuttleworth Cup will be a competition for the heaviest giant cabbage.
  • There will be a discussion about the merits of a community orchard or a butterfly garden in the area next to Borrowdale Drive.

AOB

The BBC is advertising for allotment members to take part in a forthcoming TV series. Details will be posted on the website.

Produce table stolen from Borrowdale Drive entrance but Tristan received many welcome offers of replacements.

 )