Binswood Allotment Society was formed in 1920 as the Binswood Ex-Servicemen’s Allotment Society.
The land was leased by the Council from the Percy Estate for all returning Ex-Servicemen from the First World War.
Each person was given a plot, a pig and a load of manure, the plot was big enough to feed a family of four with fresh fruit and vegetables.
Since that time the allotments have been in continuous use by the Society and today having 125 members working 165 plots.
Each plot is approximately 10 yards wide by 30 yards long (9.1m x 27.4m). Water is available from taps located along the central vehicular access track from April to October, but our Society strong recommends that plot holders collect and store rainwater.
We operate as a Friendly Society and are affiliated to the National Society of Allotment and Leisure Gardeners Ltd.
Binswood, like a lot of allotment societies, has been in and out of fashion, but currently with the growth of organic foods, the need for fresh air and exercise, and a desire to get back to the soil, we have a healthy waiting list.
Our Society is a wonderful cross section of society, young, old, families with ancient and modern gardening methods happily being worked side by side, open from dawn to dusk, seven days a week.
It is a rewarding retreat from the today’s daily grind, especially at the weekends when, along with the bees, the whole place is buzzing.
If you would like more information please email us at email@example.com